How to calculate FSI for redevelopment?
Calculating the Floor Space Index (FSI) for a redevelopment project involves a slightly different approach than calculating FSI for a new construction project. Here are the steps to calculate FSI for a redevelopment project:
- Determine the existing built-up area of the property: The existing built-up area of the property is the total area covered by all existing structures on the property. This includes all buildings, structures, and other covered areas.
- Determine the total plot area: The total plot area is the entire area of the property, including any open spaces, setbacks, or other areas not covered by buildings.
- Determine the permissible FSI for the property: The permissible FSI for a redevelopment project is usually determined by local building regulations and zoning laws. This may be different from the FSI allowed for new constructions.
- Calculate the additional FSI that can be utilized for redevelopment: To calculate the additional FSI that can be utilized for redevelopment, subtract the existing built-up area from the permissible FSI.
- Calculate the total FSI for the redevelopment project: The total FSI for the redevelopment project is the sum of the existing built-up area and the additional FSI that can be utilized for redevelopment.
Here is an example to illustrate the calculation of FSI for a redevelopment project:
Suppose you have a property with an existing built-up area of 5000 square feet and a total plot area of 10,000 square feet. The local building regulations allow a permissible FSI of 2.5 for the property.
- Existing built-up area = 5000 sq ft
- Total plot area = 10,000 sq ft
- Permissible FSI = 2.5
Additional FSI that can be utilized for redevelopment = Permissible FSI – Existing FSI = 2.5 – 1 = 1.5
- Additional FSI that can be utilized for redevelopment = 1.5
Total FSI for the redevelopment project = Existing FSI + Additional FSI = 1 + 1.5 = 2.5
So, the total FSI for the redevelopment project is 2.5, which means that a maximum of 12,500 square feet of built-up area can be constructed on the property.